Beet Kvass is very ancient and traditional Ukrainian naturally fermented beverage. It has been known very well since Kyiv Rus and was added to borshch, soups, stews Beet Kvass is very good for health Ukrainian food, because it alkalizes the blood and cleans the liver. Also it is recommended for diabetics because during lacto-fermentation all the bacteria eat sugar in beets. It is good treatment for kidney stones and is used in cancer therapy.
If You want to make real authentic Ukrainian Borshch with one of the traditional recipes then make Beet Kvass first, because it was practically always added to this famous Ukrainian dish
Red Beet Kvass
- Take filtered or boiled lightly warm water to make Kvass
- Beet Kvass can be prepared without bread
- To make Kvass take a glass, enamel, clay or wooden utensils
- Beet kvass is added to many first and second courses : borshch, soups, shpundrya, tsvykli and others, and you can also drink it
1 littre glass jar
Non-reactive Spoon (wooden or ceramic)
Ingredients of the Beet Kvass
1. Wash beets for Beet Kvass.
2. Beets peel and cut into slices.
3. Put beets into jar.
4. Add water to beets to the level when water cover them
5.On the top of beets put a piece of rye bread
6. Cover the jar with some cloth napkin or cheesecloth and put into warm place for 3-4 days. Prepared Kvass add to dishes, drink or store in the refrigirator
2 Responses to Beet Kvass