Doughnut (ua. Pampushky, Pampuhy) is a traditional Ukrainian dessert food. Sweet Pampushky are little round fried buns, also known as fried dough confection. In the old ethnic recipe, reconstructed by Etnocook, Ukrainian-styled Doughnuts Pampuhy are made of dough that includes leavening agents.
Doughnuts (donuts) can be made of different types of flours (wheat, oat, rye, buckwheat), with fillings or without them. In Ukraine sweet Doughnuts with poppy seeds (ua. Pampushky z makom) are very popular.
Pampushky as the ancient traditional ritual dish were made for weddings, funerals and big holidays such as Ukrainian Christmas (Rizdvo), Ukrainian Easter (Velykden).
Pampuhy (Doughnuts) with apple jam filling
- instead of water can be taken warm water
- pampuhy can be prepared without eggs
- You can take packet of active fresh yeasts (50 g) or active dry yeast or hops sourdough starter (100 g) or the simplest sourdough starter (100 g)
- oil should be taken much to cook on the pan, so that the doughnuts could swim in it
- remember, that it is not necessary to put on a lot of doughnuts into a pan at once , as they will increase during the heating
- ready doughnuts can be sprinkled with powdered sugar and serve with jam
Ingredients of the Pampuhy (Doughnuts with apple jam)
- wheat flour - 500 g
- milk - 200 ml
- egg - 1
- vegetable oil (canola oil) - 250 ml
- yeast - 50 g
- apple jam - 200 g
- sugar - 50 g
- powdered sugar - 10 g
- Prepare all the ingredients for Donuts with apple jam
Prepare all the ingredients for Donuts (Ukrainian Pampushky) with apple jam. In this recipe a cow's milk, a high gluten wheat flower, canola oil (jp. キャノーラ油, made of rapeseed plats), an apple jam, a chicken egg, sugar, dry yeasts, salt, sugar powder are used. Etnocook recommends to avoid taking a too runny jam, take a more thick one.
2. Make a pampuhy dough
Mix yeasts with warm milk and one teaspoon of sugar and put in a warm place. Then add rest of sugar and sifted flour, 50 ml of oil, an egg, and make an elastic dough. Etnocook recommends to put it in a warm place at least for two hours to stay and grow, sometimes for longer (for night).
3. Roll the pampuhy dough
Two hours later , when our dough has increased in volume by half, we carefully roll out it in a layer 1 cm thick
4.Put the filling
On one half of the rolled dough put a teaspoon of filling one by one, leave a 1 cm space between them.
5. Make doughnuts
Cover with half of filling the second half of the dough and cut by glass round donuts. Give little Ukrainian pampuhy time to stand and grow before cooking.
6. Cook the Ukrainian Pampuhy
In very good pre-heated oil in a pan put doughnuts, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to a very little . When the doughnuts are lightly browned , turn them the other side and keep until ready.
9.Serve the Ukrainian Pampuhy (Ukrainian doughnuts, Ukrainian donuts)
Once fried, top Ukrainian Pampuhy (Pampushky) with powdered sugar. Ukrainian Pampushky can be also glazed with a sugar icing and topped with cinnamon (especially good with apple filling)