Tsvitly also known as tsvikli (tsvykli) and tsvikly (tsvykly) is the traditional sauce made of beets, root of horseradish and Beet Kvass.
Tsvitly is known in traditional cuisine from Kyiv Rus times and popular in our days as well. It is traditionally prepared on Easter.
Beet and horseradish were widely used by Ukrainian ancestors as food and cure. Tsvitly is very simple and healthy dish. In traditional recipes it is made of baked beets, grind horseradish and traditional beverage Beet Kvass.
It is usually served with meat, fish or as salad.
- beets can be boiled or baked
- add some salt and sugar to taste
- vegetables can be grated or cut into very little pieces or mashed
- the recipe of Beet Kvass from Etnocook
- keep Tsvitly closed in glass jar in refrigerator not more than a week
Non-reactive Spoon (wooden or ceramic)
- red beet - 500 g
The red beetroot
Energy 180 kJ (43 kcal)
Carbohydrates 9.96 g
– Sugars 7.96 g
– Dietary fiber 2.0 g
Fat .18 g
Protein 1.68 g
Vitamin A equiv. 2 μg (0%)
Thiamine (vit. B1) .031 mg (3%)
Riboflavin (vit. B2) .027 mg (2%)
Niacin (vit. B3) .331 mg (2%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) .145 mg (3%)
Vitamin B6 .067 mg (5%)
Folate (vit. B9) 80 μg (20%)
Vitamin C 3.6 mg (4%)
Calcium 16 mg (2%)
Iron .79 mg (6%)
Magnesium 23 mg (6%)
Phosphorus 38 mg (5%)
Potassium 305 mg (6%)
Sodium 77 mg (5%)
Zinc .35 mg (4%)
- horseradish - 50 g
- beet kvass - 50 ml
Beet Kvass is very ancient and traditional Ukrainian naturally fermented beverage. It has been known very well since Kyiv Rus and was added to borshch, soups, stews and salads. It is also a very good drink.
The Recipe of Beet Kvass from Etnocook https://etnocook.com/beet-kvass/
1. Wash beets and prepare. You can boil(in a deep pot, water must cover beets) them or bake near 1 hour (200 C)
2. Beets peel and cut into slices and then into little cubes as small as possible.
3. Horseradish wash and peel. Cut it into slices and little cubes or use grater. Mortar and pestle can be also used to mash vegetables.
4. Add Beet Kvass.
5. Mix all ingredients