Traditional Ukrainian soft homemade dumplings Halushky are very easy to cook and tasty. Actually that’s why they were popular as the everyday dish among our ancestors over centuries. As varenyky were made for holidays and days-off Halushky on the contrary were prepared for supper when there was not so much time after long working day.
There are a lot of different types of the traditional recipe of Halushky. The most widespread is the simplest variant when they are made of flour, water and salt, boiled and served with vegetable oil or other fat.
Very popular are Halushky made of cheese, vegetables, eggs with different types of flour.
- instead of flour can be taken semolina
- while stewing cabbage You can also add the smallest grated carrot 50 g
- stew cabbage in any pot You like, but the best thick-walled deep pan with a thick bottom. First you need to put a big fire to warm cabbage and milk, then mix the ingredients, reduce fire to a minimum, cover the pan
- if necessary during stewing can be added a little more milk
- cabbage - 500 g
- milk - 100 ml
- butter - 50 g
- wheat flour - 150 g
- egg - 2
- vegetable oil (sunflower oil) - 50 g
- onion - 50 g
- salt - to taste
- sugar - 4-5 g, to taste
- sour cream - to taste
- greenery - to taste
Put on the kitchen surface (desk or board) flour or breadcrumbs, forming elongated dough rollers ~ 2-3 cm in diameter, roll them dusted surface and cut with a sharp knife small dumplings ~ 1-1.5 cm wide.
Cook the dumplings by small portions in a lot of boiling water over low heat for ~ 5-10 minutes. Put Halushky in a deep bowl, pour the onions fried in butter, add sour cream, greenery and serve hot.