Dumplings (Halushky) is a very ancient traditional everyday Ukrainian dish. During the Kyiv Rus (Kievan Rus) this dish was as famous as the world wide known Borshch (Borshcht) and Varenyky (Pierogi, Pyrohy), the authentic recipes of which are made by Etnocook.
In this ethnic recipe from Etnocook were used very healthy ingredients such as whole-wheat flour and cottage cheese. As it is well known, the whole-wheat flour contains all of the grain (bran, germ, and endosperm), vitamins, minerals (selenium), protein, calcium, iron, fiber. Whole-grain wheat flour is very nutritious and mixed with the white flower makes a perfect dough for Dumplings. Ukrainian homemade cottage cheese is a great source of calcium and protein.
Ivan Kotliarevsky (1769-1838), Ukrainian poet and playwright mentioned the famous Ukrainian ethnic dish Halushky in his poem “Eneida”:
“They spent their time in eating cates,
Sweetmeats and all confections rare;
White wheaten dumplings filled their plates
And puffy rolls with caviare;
Garlic and borsch and sauerkraut,
Mushrooms and berries joined the rout,
Hard eggs with tasty kvass were here,
And a delicious omelet
By foreign chefs one’s zest to whet,
And all this food they drowned in beer” Ivan Kotliarevsky
Ukrainian homemade dumplings are very easy to cook, and, of course, they are very tasty. Halushky can be made just of flour and water or with adding vegetables, eggs, cheese, mushrooms, meat, berries and served with butter, vegetable oil, sour cream, Mushroom gravy or Chicken hearts stewed in sour cream sauce
- For a dough may be taken a little more water or flour, depending on the quality and consistency of the ingredients.
- Quail eggs can be replaced by chicken in a 2: 1 ratio
- When cooking don't cover the pan with a lid, to avoid overcooking
- Ready dish can be be served with onions fried on vegetable oil to golden colour
- Etnocook Mushroom Gravy Recipe (https://etnocook.com.ua/hrybna-pidlyva/)
- cottage cheese - 300 g
- whole-wheat flour - 80 g
- vegetable oil (sunflower oil) - 50 ml
- water - 50 ml + 3 l for cooking
- quail egg - 2
- salt - ~4 g, to taste
- Sauce (to taste)
- butter - 50 g
- green dill - 50 g
- sour cream - 150 g, to taste
1. Prepare the ingredients for Cheese DumplingsPrepare all the ingredients that are needed to cook delicious Ukrainian Dumplings Halushky with cottage cheese and whole-grain flour with the recipe from the traditional ethnic cuisine Etnocook.
5. Cook and serve dumplingsCook the dumplings by small portions in a lot of boiling water over low heat for ~ 5-10 minutes. Put Halushky in a deep bowl, pour the onions fried in butter, add sour cream, greenery and serve hot.