Shpundra as Ukrainian ancient dish was very popular in Slavic cuisine. In traditional recipe from Etnocook it is made with beetroots and pork stewed in Beet Kvass.
- traditionally pork meat (pork belly bacon) is taken but the other kinds of meat are also good for Shpundra;
- if there is such need, more Beet Kvass can be added during stewing;
- the best vegetable oil for Shpundra is sunflower oil but any other oil is good or You can take the same amount of animal fat;
- the preparation time for meat can be longer but put it into the refrigirator
- red beet - 250 g
- beet kvass - 150 ml
- pork - 500 g
- onion - 50 g
- garlic - 3
- sugar - 5 g
- vegetable oil (sunflower oil) - 50 ml
- salt - to taste
- dill - to taste
- green onion - to taste
Meat keep under a stream of running cold water for 1 min., then cut into portions pieces, salt and pepper to taste, add the crushed garlic, chopped onions and fresh herbs, fold and leave for about 1 hour.
Prepare all the ingredients for the dishes of national Ukrainian cuisine Shpundra: clean and peel vegetables, chop herbs, onions and garlic.
Beets are ground or rub on a coarse grater.
In high pan heats oil or vegetable oil and put the meat pieces.
Fry the meat pieces until golden brown
Add to meat and beet sugar, fold two minutes, pour Beet Kvass and stew about 30 minutes.
Shpundra is served hot as a first course like beet soup or as a main course. Add some chopped greenery and sour cream to taste.