Ukrainian traditional recipe of the ethnic sweet roll Makivnyk with poppy seeds filling is very simple and doesn’t need much ingredients and time.
Poppy Seed Roll is very popular pastry in Ukraine commonly baked on Winter and Spring Holidays (especially at Christmas and Easter). It is very famous among ancient ethnic dishes in traditional cuisine .
- Poppy Seed Roll can be prepared without eggs
- chicken eggs can be replaced by quail eggs, the rate of 1: 2
- You can take packet of active fresh yeasts (50 g) or active dry yeast or hops sourdough starter (100 g) or the simplest sourdough starter (100 g)
- use baking yeast according to instructions
- instead of milk in dough if necessary use water
- if dough is too dry add more milk or water
- poppy seeds can be put in hot milk instead of hot water
- in the filling can be added raisins, butter, honey to taste
- wheat flour - 500 g
- yeast - 8 g
- milk - 200 g (~ 1 glass )
- butter - 150 g (100g for dough + 50g to grease a pan)
- sugar - 100 g
- egg - 2
- salt - ~ 4 g, to taste
- poppy seeds - 250 g
- water - 500 ml
- sugar - 100 g
Preparation time for the recipe of Ukrainian Poppy Seed Roll (Makivnyk) by Etnocook is: 12 hours for dough (with homemade sourdough starter) or 3 hours with fresh or dry yeasts + 1,5 hour to prepare and 40 min to cook
Add yeasts, warm milk(~30 C) and sugar to flour, mix and put in a warm place for 2 hours to raise. Add eggs, butter (100g, melted), salt to taste, form elastic dough and put it in a warm place for 1 hour (for dry or pressed yeast) or for 10 hours if the dough is with the homemade sourdough starter.
Drain the water, add sugar and grind into a paste (can be used a food processor).
Put some flour on a work surface and knead dough for 10 minutes, divide it into 2 parts, roll in rectangular or oval form ~ 1-1.5 cm thick. Put filling, to taste add raisins, honey, butter. Put longer opposing edges to the middle.
Roll smaller edges, forming Poppy Seed Roll. Make the same with the second piece of dough. Put Makinnyky on the greased pan in warm place for 1 hour.
Beat egg yolk in a bowl and brush the rolls with it.