Oblyzni are the little Ukrainian sweet cookies made of flour and whey (milk serum) or bread kvass, and nuts as the filling. Although dried cherries, raisins can be used in the ethnic recipe of oblyzni from Etnocook. Traditionally these soft and crunchy little cookies are served with honey
- Instead of whey it is very well to take kvass (kvas is fermented beverage made from black or regular rye bread), but it should be a real homemade kvass
- Oblyzni are also very tasty if it is added buttermilk instead of kvass or whey
- While preparing oblyzni on the skillet be sure that there is a distance between each of them because they mustn’t touch each other
- Recipe facts are given for 100 gr. of ready cookies
- whey (milk serum) - 250 g
- wheat flour - 700 g
- walnuts - 150 g
- vegetable oil (sunflower oil) - 100 ml
- sugar - 200 g
- powdered sugar - to taste
- honey - to taste
- Prepare ingredients and make dough for Oblyzni
Sift the flour, add a pinch of salt, sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, add whey and knead dough to consistency such as for the dumplings. Cover with a napkin and give it to stand for 15 minutes.
2. Roll out the dough and make little rounds
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until about ~2-3 mm. thick. Cut with a little glass rounds 30 mm. in diameter.
3. Form Oblyzni
On each round put a nut and press the edges
4. Cook Oblyzni
Heat the oil in a frying pan (skillet) and put oblyzni in a little amount so they don't touch each other. Fry on both sides in a large amount of oil until they are golden brown.
On the ready oblyzni you can pour honey and add powdered sugar on the top.