Ukrainians has used cottage cheese (fresh homemade curd) in ethnic dishes from ancient times.
Cottage cheese is used as an ingredient in many Ukrainian traditional recipes from Etnocook such as popular all over the world Varenyky, Ukrainian Cheese dumplings (Halushky), it is added in the porridge, in baking rolls and in many other dishes.
Ukrainian Cheese Pancakes without flour are very nutrient and taste really delicious.
- these pancakes will be thin, low and slightly creamy inside
- for a more puffy consistency add 1 tbs of starch (potato or corn)
- butter for greasing the baking pan or parchment paper can be replaced by a silicone form for baking
- kneading the dough you can add some salt and sugar taste (~ 2 g salt (on the tip of a knife), ~ 10 g sugar (1 tsp))
- quail eggs can be replaced with one chicken egg of small size
- instead of rolled oats (oat flakes) you can take any other to taste in the same proportions
- in case of gluten-free diet replace rolled oats with corn or buckwheat flakes
- cottage cheese 4% - 500 g
- rolled oats (oat flakes) - 2 tbsp
- quail egg - 2
- butter (for greasing) - 30 g
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp, to taste (optional)
- raisins - 20 g, to taste, (optional)
1. Prepare ingredients
Prepare all the ingredients for Ukrainian Cheese Pancakes Syrnyky: cottage cheese, eggs, oats, and optional vegetable oil (sunflower oil), salt, sugar, raisins.
2. Make the dough and form pancakes
Wash eggs in cold water and separate yolks and whites in two different deep bowls. Add the cheese in a deep bowl with egg yolks, oil, oat flakes, add raisins, mix. Optionally add a little sugar and salt to taste.
In the other bowl we whisk whites, carefully gently pour them into a cheese mass, mix. Make small round cheese pancakes and put them on a greased baking pan or on a parchment paper in a baking pan.
3. Bake the cheese pancakes
Bake the cheese pancakes in a preheated oven 180C ~ 30 minutes
4. Serve cheese pancakes
Serve Ukrainian baked cheese pancakes without flour hot, add sour cream or jam to taste.